Okay, so it’s not my birthday – yet. Friday, April 8th is. I am turning 30 and this birthday is quite different than any that I’ve had previously. When I was younger, even just 10 years ago, I’d imagined that I’d be so much “further along in life” than I am right now. Initially I felt frustrated with my perceived lack of progress in life. But then I decided to take stock of my accomplishments and blessings and life is actually treating me pretty well. Here is a short and incomplete list:
- I’m married to the most wonderful woman in the world and we recently celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary.
- I have two beautiful and smart children. Two boys that I love more than I can describe.
- I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Utah in December 2009 and am very close to being accepted into a graduate program at Gonzaga University.
- I live comfortably. Our bills are paid, there is food on the table and clothes on our backs. We have enough for simple comforts and even a little to put into savings.
- I live in the greatest country that has ever been created on the face of this planet.
- I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know who I am. I know God’s plan. I’ll follow Him in faith.
But now on to the big news – my birthday present!
Last year I broke the pinky finger on my right hand, as described here, which led to me purchasing a Ruger LCP for carry until my finger healed. No longer having a need for Elsie Pea, other than for discreet carry when the 😄 is just too big, I decided to sell her off and search for something better.
Ah yes, “better.” That’s a tricky word for gunnies. What does “better” mean? Well, that depends on who you ask. For me, better meant a Sig Sauer P238.
Introduced at the SHOT Show in 2009, the P238 is Sig’s remake of the Colt Mustang. Chambered in .380 ACP and holding six in the magazine plus one in the chamber, the P238 packs plenty of firepower for a pocket pistol. It’s the perfect compromise of size, firepower and discreet concealed carry, I feel.
I hope to get out and shoot her this weekend and with a snow storm blowing in I’ll most likely be forced into an indoor range (I prefer outdoor).
I have to give a super big THANK YOU to my sweet love for giving me the green light on my birthday present. So far, my 30th birthday has been the one causing the most stress. I mean, I’ve never been this old! Now I have the perfect gift to memorialize it.